Do Nonprofits Need Workers Compensation?
As an owner of a nonprofit, you spend most of your time trying to help others and make your community better. Your employees and volunteers help make your vision a reality, but they also need your protection. Depending on the goals of your nonprofit, your employees and volunteers could be exposed to some big risks. No one intends to get hurt, but when they do, it’s best to ensure you have the right coverage to help. Nonprofit workers compensation will help cover expenses for lawsuits and medical bills in the event an employee or volunteer has a work-related injury.
Having an adequate workers compensation policy for your nonprofit organization isn’t the only way to help protect your employees and volunteers. Below you will find some tips on additional ways you can protect them:
- Provide training and materials on your safety for your industry.
- First Aid Training
- Proper Lifting Techniques
- Invest in safety equipment and proper ergonomic furniture.
- Repetitive motion and improper posture from poor furniture is a large cause for injuries in the office
- Ensure your employees have access to proper protective equipment for their duties
Understanding who needs to be covered and what kind of coverage you need, depends on your nonprofit and your state laws. Contact us today to discuss workers compensation options available for your nonprofit.